Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Forgetful

This morning I couldn't find my car keys. They weren't in their usual places: purse, key hook, or kitchen counter. They weren't in the basket full of junk on top of the computer desk. They weren't anywhere. Starting to feel a bit desperate, I turned a circle in the kitchen with my eyes searching everywhere and found them on top of the printer. I had no memory of leaving them there. In moments like that I always have this feeling of sheer panic. Panic. The shortness of breath, lightheadedness is because I'm so afraid that I'll inherit this disease of forgetfulness that took my Grandpa Hollie's memory and is now taking my mom's. I realize that everyone has moments of forgetfulness, that everyone loses their keys, that everyone missplaces their wallet or purse from time to time. But when it happens to me I can't stop the shiver of doom that trills down my spine.


In my family we have a history of breast cancer (my mom's sister), type II diabetes (my dad, and his two sisters), heart disease (dad's brothers). None of those diseases worry me the way that dementia does. Alzheimers. Shiver. It scares me to death. I don't want to lose my memories. I don't want to lose the part of me that makes me. . . well, me.


When I was home for Christmas I noticed a couple of new developments in my mom's condition. They are things that are so unexpected and so heartbreaking. She is losing the ability to use a spoon and fork. About half of the time she starts out eating with her silverware and after a few unsuccessful attempts at figuring out how to hold the fork, she abandons it and just uses her fingers. Like a small child, she'll be covered in her meal by the time her plate is clean. Fingers, hands, shirt. It is so very sad.


She can no longer read and often picks up the wrong bottle when washing her hair. While I was home, I found her washing her hair with dish soap on one day and with my dad's shaving gel on another day.


She didn't call me by my name the entire time I was home. Not once. She didn't call my boys, her only grandchildren, by their names either. But she still loved having them there. She followed them around and laughed at their antics.


And at times she would have heartbreaking moments of lucidity. In those brief moments, she is my mom again. But those moments are much too short and much too few.


9 comments:

Jenna said...

Andrea,

I cannot even imagine how hard it must be for you on so many levels. I do know that your love for your mom shines through your words. I wish that I had some magic words to make you not worry about your future. I do know that I can't find my car keys right now (I finally gave up, good thing for spare keys). Does that help any?

Andrea said...

Yes, Jenna. It does! Thank you my friend.

Sara said...

I know it is so hard to see your mom this way. I can't imagine it. I've noticed myself being more and more forgetful since having Laura and Grant...children can certainly make it difficult to remember even the little things like where the keys were placed.

Love ya, sissy!

Kathryn said...

Oh, my sweet friend. I feel your pain. Really, I do. Of course having it happen to your grandfather is different than your own mother, but the hurt remains.

I, too, know those pangs of panic when I can't remember a name or misplace something. Even worse, I have them when I look at my Dad and wonder if his fate will be the same of his father and two of his father's siblings.

Like you, I have the family history of cancers (mom, paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather), diabetes (dad), heart
disease (paternal grandfather) and more. I often kidd my parents that my brother and I won the health jackpot -- we have no idea what awaits us as we age.

But, these are the things we mostly cannot change, no matter the amount of worry. So take heart, enjoy your Mom in her little moments and know that your friends are thinking of you always.

Alma Mcve said...

I always used to be fearful of so many things. I used to worry especially about my parents dying when I was a young child and then I went through a period of suicidal thoughts for a couple of years when I was a younger teenager. The thoughts were tormenting and depressing and I knew I'd never do anything to harm myself but the fearful thoughts persisted. I couldn't seem to stop them from coming and it affected my everyday life. It was, without a doubt, the hardest years of my life. But I never took any action to stop the thoughts from entering my mind.

My mom was with me every step of the way. She encouraged me to read my Bible and find scriptures that focused on fear and worry. She told me to use those scriptures to rebuke the fearful thoughts whenever they entered my mind. The devil had a hold on my mind where he could whisper anything in and I would begin to worry and freak out. So I finally took my mom's advice. I picked out scripture verses, posted them on a cork board, and still have them there today actually. I used the Word of God to defeat the things that weren't of God.

Today I am happy to say that I overcame those thoughts and I control what I allow into my own mind. If I know they are not thoughts from God or myself, I know to chuck them out. Although that part of my life was really difficult, it drew me so much closer to God than I had ever been before. God is holding me in His arms and I am safe there. You are safe in His arms too Mrs. Bishop. He's watching over you and He loves you so much. Just rest in His arms.

Aleya

Andrea said...

Thanks so much for all of your sweet comments and for your empathy and encouragement. Much appreciated.

I have to mention that the previous comment was from one of my former English 101 students. Isn't she amazing?! What a beautiful soul and a wonderful writer! Thanks, Aleya. You made my day.

Alma Mcve said...

That was a beautiful comment she left. It must be neat for you to have English 101 students that you meet in class and then they are able to keep in touch with you through your blog. Most teachers don't even care about that kind of stuff. It's really neat how you gave out your blog site and your email address and welcomed all of us to check your blog out at the end of the quarter. I think you have a great blog!

Cara said...

Oh Andrea, you and your family are in my prayers. I am so sorry you have to exprience this sad disease with your mom. It is truly heartbreaking, I'm sure. Know that we are all here for you and love you!

Robin said...

Andrea,

It must be awful to watch your mom change from the woman you know and love to someone so different. I am sorry for you and for your whole family. We are never prepared for the tragedies we face in our families; we can only pray for the strength to endure them, the faith to triumph over them, and abiding joy despite them. I pray all of these for you.

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?