Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fiction or Non-Fiction?


What's everybody reading right now? I've always got a couple of books stashed in the house. I read in the way that some people sneak a cigarette or a piece of chocolate. Sometimes I just crave it. Of course, I often crave a piece of chocolate WHILE I'm reading. And that's. . . okay. Right?


So give me new ideas. I'm in the middle of a tragically beautiful and disturbing book called Sarah's Key, which is breaking my heart and also giving me all kinds of ideas for my English 101 class next quarter. I'm also re-reading a favorite Nora Roberts novel because sometimes I just want to read something entertaining and something I don't have to think too much about.


Give me some new ideas! What are you reading right now?

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

I just read "Every Good and Perfect Gift" by Sharon Souza. It's a Christian novel of sorts, and a moving story. Recommend! Also just finished "Songs for the Missing" by Stuart O'Nan - a much darker tale.

If you haven't ready "Same Kind of Different as Me" by Ron Hall, do so -- it's an amazing story.

Love the family pic at the top of your blog!

Sara said...

I've got "Sarah's Key" all ready for my next read.

I am currently reading the last book of the Twilight series. The Twilight series are okay...I just have read them to see what the hype is about. I'm ready for some REAL meaty reading though.

I also LOVED "Same Kind of Different as Me". I always recommend "The Glass Castle". It is a biography and very fascinating.

"The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" is a really deep book and also very lengthy, but I found it to be good.

Also, I have recently enjoyed reading Charles Martin novels. They can be kinda sad, but good.

I love me a good book!

Anonymous said...

I like fiction, I finished "The Shack" recently. Very powerful, portrays Christ, God and Holy Spirit like I have never seen. Jon and I both cried many times throughout.

James The Artist said...

Not reading them right now, but loved them, are "House of sand and fog" by Andres Dubus III, and "The crimson petal and the white", by Michael Faber. Also, I enjoy reading Stephen King because of his ability to literally (no pun intended!) put you in his worlds. The best books to me are the ones that make you unaware that you are even reading! Simplicity of prose, with detailed observation...I could only hope to write like that someday!

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?