Saturday, January 17, 2009

Fantasy

My children are still in their pajamas at 10:26 on Saturday morning. I just can't seem to bring myself to make them stop playing and get dressed. They are living in FANTASY LAND right now. Zach is set up on the big couch with a line of about 25 Star Wars guys as they fight the neverending battle between good and evil. Alec is settled on the floor with a Fisher Price Treehouse and a confusing mixture of Star Wars guys, knights, and Robin Hood toys. He seems to understand the fantasy though. Both boys are completely involved, talking to their toys, talking to themselves.

It makes me happy on several levels. The first is simple: They aren't fighting. The second is also simple: I'm not being bothered while on the computer. The third is not so simple: They are happy and healthy and playing in the way that happy, healthy children play. I guess that is also fairly simple. Simple isn't bad.

I remember playing with my Barbies in a similar way. Pretending to be Barbie, pretending to be Skipper, Barbie's kid sister. Pretending Barbie was my sister. Just pretending.

What about you? Do you remember playing so intently as a child? Putting yourself into the moment of fantasy? What was it for you? What was your favorite thing to play?

4 comments:

Alma Mcve said...

I grew up with some boys so we were always outside in the woods or down at the creek! We used to play cops and robbers or other outdoor "runaway from the bad guy before you get shot" games. The thrill of escaping the magical bullet and running away as fast as you could always pumped our adrenaline. We always had a great time together!

Andrea said...

Hey Ms. Mcve. It's like a secret code name. Like your alias for being a robber! Thanks for sharing your childhood. How are things going for you this quarter?

Alma Mcve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alma Mcve said...

Haha! My youtube channel is almamcve so that's why I decided to use it for my blog! This quarter is going good. My teachers are all nice but my history teacher is really young and he just does not know how to teach. I've never been in a more boring class than this one. He makes us read a lot of boring stuff too. But other than that I am enjoying OC and I know Jordan's liking your class too! He's having a good time making his own blog! I hope everything is going good for you and that the sniffles are going bye bye!

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?