Thursday, May 14, 2009

Fish and Ugly


So, I have a pet peeve that I need to air.


Today I saw a minivan with a Jesus fish situated nicely on its back window. On the same minivan was a bumpersticker that read, "Horn Broken. Watch out for THE FINGER!" Does anyone else see the contradiction here? I also saw a little sporty car in the Target parking lot this morning. It was also sporting a nice Jesus fish. Its accompanying bumper sticker proclaimed, "Drive it like you stole it!" Again. . . really? On the way through the McD's drivethrough (Alec wanted chicken nuggets after preschool) there was this huge monster truck with a local church bumper sticker on the left side and a license plate holder that read, "If you can read this, get off my ass." Seriously.


I don't get this. I mean, I know we're all imperfect. But do we have to PROCLAIM our imperfections on the bumpers of our cars? Am I the only person bothered by such things?


5 comments:

Maria said...

WHAT A FUNNY POST!!! I love it. I agree 100% with you. Maybe they just like fish and don't know what it means :) Seriously I do wonder what people are thinking too and what kind of message they are portraying.

Cara said...

Totally agree. You had me laughing out loud!

Kathryn said...

So true!! I'm also amazed when angry drivers that are weaving in and out, honking the whole way, pass me by with the fish or a church sticker. Nothin' says "love your neighbor" like road rage! :)

Alma Mcve said...

OH I HATE THAT!!! It drives me crazy too! One time I saw a fish and a hooters bumper sticker on the same car! I also saw a truck in the OC parking lot with a fish sticker on it and a bumper sticker that said, "My boss is a Jewish carpenter," and this guy and his girlfriend were all over each other making out in his truck before class. I just don't see why people do stuff like that! Christians are supposed to resemble Christ and it seems like so-called "Christians" can't even look like Christ with a sticker they put on the back of their car. I don't think Christ would do that. But I totally understand you.

Robin said...

You are SO not the only person bothered by such things. Like you said, we're all imperfect. But I don't think it's OK to, in effect, BRAG about our imperfectness. Sounds like a great way to give Christians a bad name.

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?