Thursday, December 11, 2008

Forlorn, Futile, Fatal, Fruitless ~ not good F words

I am saddened today at the news that my father's best friend has died, quite tragically. Some of you know that my dad was an administrator in the Wynnewood school district for more than 25 years. Mr. Horton also worked for the school, as a favorite high school ag teacher. Good man. Kind, caring, father of three boys. His boys are all grown now, older than I am.



I don't have details, and frankly, they don't really matter in the larger sphere of this tragedy. I know that Mr. Horton had been struggling with the effects of diabetes for many years. He'd lost his eyesight and a limb. Other than that I do not know his personal circumstances. Unfortunately, I do know that he shot himself fatally last night. I don't know anything other than that and I'm just going to pray for his soul and for his family ~ his wife, Susie, and three boys Jon, Matt, & Pat. There are also a couple of granddaughters that are about my Zachary's age.



I also am praying fervently for my father. For the past six years or so, since my dad retired, he ate breakfast with Mr. Horton every Saturday morning. They gathered at a local truckstop and enjoyed biscuits and gravy along with each other's company. Dad lost another close friend a few years ago, Mr. Jackson. All three men worked together for Wynnewood Schools. My father is not a man who allows people to get too close to him; a friend is like family to him.



I'm saddened, but also feeling so helpless at the futility of this. Please be in prayer with me.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I'm sorry Andrea and I know that must be difficult for your dad. Prayers sent for your poppa and his friends.

Maria R. said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I will be praying your your dad as well as his family.

Kathryn said...

Oh, Andrea - I'm so sorry. What a tragedy, and something that those who loved him will never understand. I'll be thinking of your Dad. Please let him know your friends are thinking of him!

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?