Saturday, December 6, 2008

Figurative (rather than literal) friends


My children are very different. Temperment, activity level, senses of humor. . . all different. Zachary had an imaginary friend for about three years ~ ages 2 to about 5. His buddy was named Scrabby and he was a little brown dog with super human strength. Think Scrappy from those old Scooby-Doo movies and you'll have a great idea of what Zach's Scrabby was like. Scrabby went just about everywhere that we went and he was often in on conversations with Zachary. I never remember Scrabby doing anthing ugly. He was just a way for Zachary to keep himself entertained.
Alec also has an imaginary friend. Several times a day I find myself saying in a very stern voice, "Alec Michael! What is this?!" Usually something like syrup smeared all over the kitchen table provokes such a question. Invariably Alec's response will be, "I didn't do it, Mommy. My brudder (brother) Gaylor did it!" His answer is given with utmost sincerity, little shoulders shrugging and eyebrows raised in wonder. When I point to the syrup covering his hands, arms, shirt, etc. he smiles a bit devilishly before straightening his face and replying indignantly, "My brudder GAYLOR made me get all sticky!"
Apparently Gaylor is made of clouds and lives up in the sky. He also changes colors on a daily basis. Blue, purple, red. Last night he was orangish-yellowish with a kitty-cat tail when he was blamed for kicking the back of my seat in the car.
I believe I'll have mixed feelings when Gaylor grows up and moves back to his home in the sky. I miss Scrabby sometimes. He was such a big part of our daily lives for so long; it saddens me that Zachary has outgrown him. I'm not sure I'll really MISS Gaylor. Scrabby was sweet; Gaylor is more. . . sour. But Gaylor is what he is: a blueish, orangish, greenish little dude made of clouds with a propensity for orneriness. Oh dear, what will he do next?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT is so funny. Easton had one named Brush that slept on the ledge above his closet and skateboarded or flew next to us when we drove in the car. Our boys are so cute. Peyton for some reason doesn't have one...not sure why?

Cara said...

Neither one of my boys had/have an imaginary friend. Austin has NO ONE to blame but himself! :)

Robin said...

Love it. Clara has an imaginary friend named Picnic who is sometimes a boy and sometimes a girl. So far, s/he doesn't get Clara into trouble...just enjoys Clara's mommying from time to time.

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?