Friday, November 21, 2008

Forecast: Rain


I live in the Pacific Northwest.
I was not born here.
I was not raised here.
I did not, quite frankly, choose to move here.
And yet, here I am in my third year as a resident of the beautiful state of Washington. It truly is a gorgeous place to live, especially in the summer when the highs are in the 80s and the rain clouds are a hazy memory. But this evening, as I type, the rain is pounding on the windows and the wind is gusting outside. It's raining.
Again.


I've had migraine headaches since I was in high school. When I was about 20 years old I realized that my migraines seem to come quite often right before a change in weather, or when it rains. Yeah, the rain isn't a great thing for me. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate it on the days when I can snuggle up under my warm comforter and listen to it on the eaves. . .that is a peaceful essence of rain. But when it rains a bit (or a lot) each day for weeks or even months on end, I am not the type of person who can really revel in that. There are people here in Washington who truly and honestly love the rainy weather. I have students at Olympic College who walk into class on the rainiest, messiest of days and with heartfelt regard proclaim, "I love this weather." No sarcasm. Honest truth. They love it.
Not me. Not so much.



Below is a picture that I took from inside my car yesterday, right before I made the regular slog and slosh through the rain to get to my classes.


Thankfully, God did promise Noah that he wouldn't allow the rain clouds to get too carried away after that 40 day thing. And so there is always, inevitably, a break in the clouds. For those, I am truly thankful. In those times, I do love it here and I do feel welcome.


Pretty, huh? My little campus at Olympic College. It's a pretty little place.
Now, if only the forecast could call for dry, chilly weather for a few days. . . .

4 comments:

Sara said...

I know the weather is hard on ya. I wouldn't like cold dreary weather day in and day out! Once you get back to the south, your mild summers will be replaced with scorching heat!!!!

Anonymous said...

I live in the Pacific NW.
I WAS born and raised here.
I hate the rain.

I think I was meant to be born in somewhere hot and tropical, but something must have happened by mistake.

Andrea said...

I knew there was a reason why I feel so bonded to you, Maria Byrd. We are both no-more-rain. . . pleeeeaaase people. And I think you are pretty, and nice... and I like your kids, and you are a very sweet friend. Okay, it's more than the rain, but there is certainly something reassuring about the fact that a native agrees with me. :-)

Kathryn said...

I'm sorry! I dread waking up on rainy days - I don't know how you do it all of the time. Wish I could send some sunshine your way!

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?