Monday, May 5, 2008

Ferry Fun

For those of you who aren't from Washington, the area where we now live is surrounded by water. Port Orchard is right on the Puget Sound, on the Kitsap Peninsula. We're directly across the Sound from Seattle, we can see the city skyline from our living room. If you are interested, a good place to see the geography is http://www.visitkitsap.com/, which shows you where we are in relation to other cities in the area.



A main method of transportation in this water-logged state is the use of ferries. There are the really big ones that you drive your car onto (these ferries hold about 100 or so cars I'd estimate) and then there are smaller "foot" ferries that only take walk-on passengers and go shorter distances.



Yesterday was gorgeous, so the boys and I took a foot ferry from Port Orchard to Bremerton. It's about a 15 minute ride across the water and riders can either sit inside the boat or walk around the outside deck. We were outside, enjoying the wind and the watching the waves and the ducks, when I noticed a little brown head swimming along beside our ferry. It was a sea lion and the cute thing just cruised right alongside for a few minutes before flipping up and into the water and disappearing. The boys both saw it and thought it was really neat. (I LOVED it, certainly not something I grew up seeing in Oklahoma!)



We live about a half-mile from the water and from our backyard we can often hear a group of sea lions barking and carrying on. It's a fun little treat that we have grown to love about this part of the country.



Our foot ferry took us to downtown Bremerton where we enjoyed cups of ice cream from Cold Stone (similar to Marble Slab) and then we walked along the water and enjoyed the water fountains and just the lovely weather. It was a great afternoon.



It was FERRY fun! (I know... cheese.)

3 comments:

Maria R. said...

I LOVED that ferry ride. When I was there it was the most gorgeous weather and I just loved the city. And the Sea lions were so adorable. Glad you had such a fun day!

Cara said...

Sounds like a perfect day! I wish that wonderful, cheap entertainment was here in south Arkansas!

Sara said...

I really hope I can come up there before you move back this direction. It sounds and looks beautiful!

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?