Sunday, August 14, 2011

From Heaven

I am constantly reminded that my children have such a wonderful, unique view of their world. Last night the boys and I were driving home from Target (our happy place) when Alec asked what Grandmom looks like now that she's in heaven.

Alec tends to ask things at seemingly random times, though if I work hard enough I can usually trace his thoughts back a few minutes or hours or days. For this conversation I didn't have to trace too far. For the past few minutes we'd been discussing the word "amnesia" because he'd heard it somewhere and wanted to know what it meant. After I explained the definition of the word, Alec had said, "So... it's kind of like Grandmom."

Of course, that brought about another round of explanation. So after we discussed the differences between amnesia and Alzheimers, he said, "I'm glad Grandmom is in heaven now because she has all of her memories again. And she remembers us now." At this point I had to open my eyes extra wide to allow the tears to sink back in a bit. Then he said, "So, what does Grandmom look like now that she's in heaven? I think she's young again, but maybe not too young, but definitely not sick and in bed."

Then my sweet Zachary chimed in on this discussion and said, "I think we probably get to choose what we look like when we get to heaven. I mean, maybe it's like picking out toys or clothes, and you get to pick out what you want to look like. That'd be cool."

I said, "Yes, that would be cool. I think I'd pick out the 20 year old me." Alec said, "I bet Grandmom picked out the 20 year old her too. Poppa Jim would like that I think."

Oh, those boys. They are such insightful, wonderful little creatures. They are such blessings. Even when they make me crazy (a daily occurance), I cannot imagine my life without them. My mom thought they were just about the best things ever. I wish they could have had her healthy and whole for much, much longer. I know she's still loving them from heaven.

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?