Friday, February 12, 2010

Favoritism

My husband and I have a DATE tonight. We're celebrating Valentine's Day just a tad early. We have a new babysitter coming over. She's youngish (14), but she's also the eldest sister of four siblings, so she's had plenty of practice at home. I am hoping that she loves us and that we love her (as a sitter) because I have been looking for a steady sort of "regular" sitter since we moved here.

Anyway, I'm rambling off topic. My topic is "Favoritism."

Mike and I are going to Melting Pot for our date tonight. We also went to Melting Pot for my birthday in September and will probably go there for our anniversary in May. I LIKE it, truly I do. It's my favorite restaurant. I have never had a bad experience there. It is a special sort of place for special occasions. I like that when we have a reservation for 6 p.m., we know that we'll be sitting at our table at 6 p.m. ( and not waiting out in an overcrowded entryway until a table is ready.) I love the food, but I especially love that when we're there we can just take our time and talk. No one is rushing us out the door so that they can seat another guest. It is leisurely.

On the summers that we are able to take a vacation, we invariably go to the mountains of New Mexico to spend a week at Mike's family cabin. It is what we do. Santa Fe, cool mountain air, leisurely cabin time.

I think we are creatures of habit, and when I sit down and really THINK about that? Honestly? It kind of bugs me. But it only bugs me on an intellectual level. I think we should probably be more adventurous, but at the same time I am so incredibly happy at the thought of going back to Melting Pot tonight that I don't know why I'd want to try anything new. I like routines, they make me happy.

What about you? Do you have a favorite spot to go to by yourself or with loved ones? Or are you more adventurous? Any suggestions for me?

2 comments:

Robin said...

I like a good mix of routine and adventure, myself. A new restaurant here and there is fun...but going back to old faves is comforting in a special way. I think the trick is to PLAN it one way or another. What I mean is, say to Mike, "Next Friday, let's try somewhere new." That way you sort of have time to get used to the idea...and get excited. And you have made a commitment to each other NOT frequent the usual favorite. :) That said, I think it's great to 1) know what you like and 2) be happy about that. :)

Sara said...

Since my choices in local restaurants are limited, I usually jump on the chance to try out a new restaurant!! I do love a good routine though. Hope you and Mike had a yummy dinner!

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?