Wednesday, March 18, 2009

First Finals

Yesterday was the last day of my classes at Olympic College and the last day for Alec to go to Ms. Renee's house. They were the first of many "lasts" that will occur in the next few months.

Alec has been going to Ms. Renee's since he was 18 months old. My first job -- post-children -- was here, working for OC. I was a nervous wreck, thinking about leaving my babies, even though it was literally for about two hours a day. Ms. Renee was my gift from God. She loves my boys and has doted on both of them since that very first day. I am sad that we'll be leaving Renee and her daughter Rachel. The two have been the greatest tag-team babysitters in the universe for our family.

I'm also going to miss teaching at OC. I know I've said it before, but I absolutely love teaching English at the college level. And I've realized in the past three years that I have a calling to the community college setting. I love the diversity. I love the fact that I can shine a bright light into a small corner of my own world. I love seeing my students learn. I know -- I trust -- that God will give me another teaching opportunity in the near future, but I'm sad to say goodbye to Olympic College.

There will be many more final moments in the next couple of months. I know Mike is extremely ready for his final commute to work (40 minutes). And I'll be ecstatic to HANDWASH my final set of dishes (no dishwasher in this house). But I'm dreading that final goodbye to friends. I'm especially dreading Zach's goodbyes to his buddies. That is going to be difficult.

4 comments:

Cara said...

I got a little teary thinking about Zach saying goodbye to his friends :( I know it will be hard. Selfishly, I'm so happy you're moving closer. But goodbyes are never easy. I'll be praying for you all as you make this transition. Any news on a house?

The Varner Family said...

I am thinking about you as you approach your big move. Yeah for a dishwasher!

I gave you a blog award. Check out my blog and you will see it :)

Alma Mcve said...

Mrs. Bishop just so you know I was planning on coming and saying goodbye to you on Tuesday. I had my history final at noon so I thought I might be able to run by and say, "Bye," but you were done with your class party by time I finished my final:( Jordan was waiting for me in the library. That was a bummer. I really wanted to come by and see you. Well I hope all your "finals" and "byes" go by smoothly and good. Hopefully someday you'll be able to say, "Hi," again to the people you are saying, "Good bye," to now.

Maria said...

I never had a dishwasher growing up until Jon and I married and lived in our first apartment for 3 years. Then we bought our first little house, did not notice there was no dishwasher till we fell in love with it. So lived without again for 3 years. Everytime I do dishes here in our Harris house I thank God for it. I actually enjoy doing dishes. Hate laundry. Anyone wanna trade (that is people with dishwahers).

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?