Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Finding sanity in a life of CRAZINESS

Well, the navy is moving us. July 31 is the last day we'll be here in the beautiful, yet rainy, state of Washington. Mike was given his transfer orders this past week. We'll be heading back to Tennessee, which is actually what we were hoping and praying would happen.

Of course, nothing is ever simple or straightforward. The home we are renting is being put on the market in the very near future. We are in an uncomfortable position of wanting the best for the homeowners and hoping the home will sell quickly, but also hoping that we'll be able to stay here in this house until we are ready to pack up for Tennessee. I don't even want to think about what we'll have to do if the house sells quickly. Basically? We'll have to find a temporary residence for a few months to allow Zach to finish 2nd grade. It gives me a headache thinking about it.

My heart aches when I start to think about how hard this move it going to be for Zachary. He loves his school and his friends and he's going to miss his buddies so very much. He's already asking about visiting and about how he's going to stay in touch with buddies like Nate, Easton, Luke, and Grace.

I'm not as worried about Alec, but I know he'll miss his wonderful babysitters who have been like family to us.

Of course, the blessing about this move is that the market is really great for home BUYERS, which is what we'll be. I'm actually going to do a quick househunting trip to Tennessee in about three weeks. Please be in prayer for us about that and about this whole thing.

Oh, by the way, I need your suggestions on househunting! What kinds of things do I need to look for/ be aware of?

10 comments:

Cara said...

Where in TN? We haven't househunted in many years so I don't have any advice for you. But hopefully you'll find it to be a buyer's market and get a good sized house for a good price. I'm so happy you'll be closer. Maybe I can actually get to see you face to face instead of blog to blog :)

Andrea said...

Definitely, Cara! I'm going to be pretty close. In the Memphis area, probably in Millington. I was so jealous of your time with Sara last week. I wanted to be there too!

Kathryn said...

Wow! Big changes coming your way. You guys will be in our thoughts for a smooth transition and a less-stressful move (I won't say stress-free -- that's impossible). :)

House hunting was fun for me, but maybe I'm the exception. One thing that really helped us was to make a checklist of everything we thought we wanted before we got started -- coat closet, minimum number of kitchen cabinets, hardwood vs. carpet, double-sinks, etc. Then for each house, I'd check off the good and the bad. It really helped us keep track -- once you've seen three or four houses, they all start running together. I probably still have our checklist if you want to see it for any ideas.

Glad you are moving closer to family!!

Sara said...

*Get a home inspection and be there for it. Negotiate!!
*Be totally familiar and comfortable with your school district.
*Avoid white tile floors!!!! I hate my kitchen floor!!!!
*Sometimes you can also do fancy financing to avoid mortgage insurance. (I have a really good bank if you need a referral.)
*Get a realtor who you can totally trust and has your best intentions in mind!

I'm sure I have like 20 more tips since we just moved!!

Robin said...

I've got a dear friend selling her house in Thompsons Station, TN. You can find it at www.2867iroquois.com I have no idea WHERE in TN y'all are headed, but TS is south of Nashville about 45 minutes, I think.

My tip for buying a home...buy close to your work and in a neighborhood you can walk in and feel safe!

All the very best in this time of transition!!

RAK

Alma Mcve said...

Jordan told me the other day that you were moving:( I'm sad. I told so many people that they needed to take you for 101 and at least 3 of them were going to get you for English next year:( They're gonna miss out on a great English class:( But at least you can still stay in touch with your friends here over the internet! I hope you have house-hunting success on your trip to Tennessee. I'll be praying for you that selling the house will go smoothly and just as planned:)

Drew Stapp said...

I was glad to hear that ya'll will be moving to TN! We currently have an offer on our townhome, but if that falls through and ya'll wanted to rent it, we might be able to work a deal!

Since you haven't purchased a home in the last 3 years, you'll qualify for the 1st time home-buyers $8000 tax credit!!! Sweet!

Jenna said...

Well, that is exciting!! I don't have any advice for you, but I know that God will take care of things for you. What about your job?

Kathryn said...

Andrea - I have searched high and low for that checklist and can't find it. I am guessing it was on our old computer. Sorry! I remember that we did the left column with all of our "wants", organized by room. The other columns were labeled per house, so that made them easy to compare. I'll keep searching this weekend. Good luck!

Maria said...

Well being a Realtor I could give advice if you have questions, just let me know. Finding a really good agent is definitely key...among a zillion other things. We will sure miss you. I think Easton will be heartbroken. He has never had a friend move away and he is oh so sensitive. He even cries when I throw holey socks away.

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?