Monday, February 2, 2009

Feeling old

So last night I had to bite the bullet and grade essays. I'm not really a great grader. I can't seem to master the art of quickly reading and evaluating. I get too personally involved and end up writing more about the writing than the actual student wrote.

Anyway, last night I began grading at 8 p.m. and finished up at about 4 a.m. this morning. I slept for a couple of hours before getting up and getting the boys ready for school. I then went to my friend Tracy's house and scrapbooked for about 3+ hours before heading back home. I just finished my lesson plan for tomorrow's class and am about to spend some quality time with Alec. I've had about three Diet Dr. Peppers today and I'm trying to talk myself out of another one. Need caffeine. Feeling. . . tired. Feeling. . . olllllllllllllld.

I used to stay up most of the night on a regular basis when I was in college. I liked to stay up late and study after everyone else was in bed. I was the editor of our school paper and that usually required late nights about once or twice a week. I don't remember feeling like I was wading through mucky water the next day.

I'm happy to be finished grading. And I'm happy that I'll be ready to pass those essays back to my students tomorrow. But I'm not happy about the tick in my right eye that is tick...tick...ticking me off!

Have a restful day!

7 comments:

Alma Mcve said...

My goodness that's amazing! I woke up this morning absolutely EXHAUSTED...after about 7 hours of sleep. I wouldn't be able to make it through the day very well if I had only got as much sleep as you did. I would probably crash after school and sleep until someone woke me up for dinner:) You are not old because you are tired! I still can't believe you had all the energy to scrapbook for three hours and plan your lesson out! I would have probably fell asleep at my friend's house or definitely fallen asleep on the couch planning a lesson. You are so far from old! You have more energy than the people that are younger than you!!!

Andrea said...

Aleya, You always make me feel good about myself. I want you to create your own blog so I can come visit you and make comforting comments there!

Sara said...

If I remember correctly, the nights you stayed up late as Bison Editor, you slept till noon or so the next day! I think if I had stayed up till 4 a.m. I'd be a zombie the next day. I'm pretty impressed with your stamina, oh young one!

Jeff's Photos said...

Teaching is hard work I applaud your staying up with the grading. Grading is where I struggle teaching as well. I am like you that when I get started I am not stopping til i am done. I also wanted to say thanks for reading my blog and commenting it means alot.

Alma Mcve said...

I'm so glad I make you feel good about yourself!! I think I might make a facebook soon. Maybe. Oh and I thought of a really great "F" word in case you wanted to hear! Fireproof. Have you seen that new movie with Kirk Cameron? It's one of the best movies I have seen in awhile. Sure I'm not married but it is just an incredible realistic story and it will make you cry in a good way. I love it so much and my mom actually bought it! And we don't buy movies very often so she'll only do that if she really loves it! It's an excellent movie!

Robin said...

I couldn't have done what you just did at 18. Seriously. I am worth nothing after midnight. As far as grading essays goes, rubrics are your friend!!! :) Of course, nothing makes a student feel better than a lot of feedback on his/her writing, but you have your eyesight to consider. Not to mention your Diet DP budget. :)

Take a nap!
Robin

Andrea said...

Thanks for all of your comments. Robin makes a couple of good points: rubrics and DDP budgets. Aleya, I haven't seen Fireproof but I'm happy to have a review of it. We'll have to get a copy soon. Sara, you are right about my sleeping until noon after a Bison deadline. Thanks for reminding me of that. And Jeff, I love going to your blog. You will always be my favorite photographer!

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?