Sunday, February 15, 2009

Fervor, Fidelity, Fondness: My Valentine Weekend

























My funny Valentines: Mike, Zach, Alec. We spent the weekend in Astoria, Oregon. It was a quick trip, but very enjoyable. We had great weather on Saturday and enjoyed the Columbia River Maritime Museum and a bit of exploring in Astoria. The boys loved the hotel. It was located directly under the Astoria Bridge, which was HUGE and quite impressive.























Our weather today was a bit less enjoyable. Rain and temps below 40 degrees all day. But we made the best of it and went to a small Aquarium in Seaside, Oregon, before seeing the shipwreck on the sand at Fort Stevens State Park. It was so incredibly cold on the beach that we basically just snapped a couple of quick pictures before running back to our car. Later I asked Alec what his favorite thing from the trip was. He answered, "I liked the shipwreck best a'cause it was so cold that it STOLE my BREF (breath) AWAY! But I got more bref now."

We also explored an old military base and its museum. The boys loved that. I was just happy to be inside and out of the freezing rain!

It was a fun trip. I enjoyed getting out of town and seeing a bit more of the area. We've been here three years and I've basically been confined to the Kitsap Peninsula. It was nice seeing more of the Pacific Northwest.

What did you do for the weekend?



























7 comments:

Cara said...

We sadly didn't do much here! Kent did take the boys fishing, which they've been begging to do for awhile. Love the picture of you and Mike at the top...it took my bref away! :)

Sara said...

Cool shipwreck site! It looked like a fun trip, but also quite chilly! Glad it was a nice getaway!

Jim and I enjoyed a date by ourselves..a rare treat! It was great!

The Varner Family said...

Your family is so adorable. I can tell you are a fantastic mom and that your boys have a lot of fun!

Maria R. said...

I love the new pictures of your week end, especially the one of you and Mike - what a great looking couple. Sounds like a fun get-a-way.
Aidan and I enjoyed a nice evening home together. He is a great Valentine.

Maria said...

That looks so fun! Glad you had a good weekend. For V-day Jon & the kids got me a card. I graduated from smoothies to cream of wheat and today I think I might live! Thanks for taking Easton the other day, he had fun!

Kathryn said...

What a fun family trip! Glad your survived the cold rain and made the most of it. Great photo of you and Mike!

Poor Rob was enslaved to yours truly all weekend as we embarked on some home improvements. We did enjoy a nice dinner together out on Friday before we dug in Saturday morning.

Robin said...

Like the other commenters, I loved the pic of you and your hubby. Not sure about you, but those husband/wife kinds of photos are rare now that we have kids, so I highly recommend framing that one!!

Sounds like a fun weekend of exploring. Have you heard of/been to Stehekin, Washington? TOTALLY worth the effort. :) My brother worked there with the Park Service for a few years, so I got to visit a couple of times. GORGEOUS. But go when it's warmer, for sure!

RAK

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?