Sunday, August 24, 2008

Night frights and flushes


My boy Zachary has started sleepwalking. It began this summer while we were on vacation at the family cabin in New Mexico. He's done it several times since then. It always freaks me out a bit and I've started deadbolting every possible door in the house at night and I put a bar in the sliding glass door that goes out on the deck. (I learned my lesson from my friend Cara's experiences with her little boy getting out of the house while sleepwalking!)

Anyway, so the past couple of days I have been smelling urine. At first I thought it was from the new kitten. I caught him (Oliver the kitten) peeing on the carpet on his first day with us but that was before he really knew where the litter box was. I haven't seen him do it since then. Anyway, after literally putting my nose to the carpet today I have found two spots in the house that have been urinated on, and I'm almost positive that the culprit was not a tiny little kitten because of the size of the carpet area. I think my sleepwalker has been sleep-peeing!

So... how do I deal with this new problem? How do I keep Zach from roaming the house and then peeing in the living room? This is a completely new one for me and I'll appreciate any advice!

1 comment:

Cara said...

Why do sleepwalking and sleep-peeing go hand in hand? Does he sleep with his door closed? If so, you could use the things we bought at Wal-Mart. It make an alarm sound when the door is opened. We stuck them on all our doors to the outside to keep our sleepwalker indoors.

I guess, just be thankful he's staying in the house to pee and not roaming the streets trying to find a place to leave his mark.

My thoughts are with you, dear friend.

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?