Thursday, August 14, 2008

Furry friend

So I think I'm going through some sort of empty womb syndrome. As a result of this I hounded Mike into letting me have another kitten. We got Molly Rainbow last summer. Her picture is already posted. She's a big ol' fluffball. Zachary named her. His 6-year-old wisdom explained that since she was a girl and "girls like rainbows," then her name should be Rainbow. I gently suggested that Rainbow would serve a cat quite well as a middle name, but perhaps another name would work better as a first name. So, as he and Alec played with our vast collection of Thomas trains, he picked up a train named Molly and said, "How 'bout Molly Rainbow?" And that was that.
Two days ago we brought home a 6 week old orange boy. I was hoping Molly would like having a little brother. I was hoping in vain. She's done nothing but hiss at him since we brought him in the door. And yet, life goes on.

This little boy is terribly, terribly cute. And keeping with tradition, Zachary named this little ball of fluff too. Since Molly was named for a train, he thought her brother should also be named for a train. So the first name of Oliver was chosen (Oliver is a green engine). And then we began the task of choosing a middle name. This was a much more lengthy job. We had suggestions such as Moon, Leaf, Tree, Green, Orange, Poozles, Shoozles, Tyrone and, of course, Alec's favorite: Window.

And then Zachary said, "How 'bout Oliver Whiskers?" And we all smiled and nodded and that was that.

So, this is Mr. Oliver Whiskers, newest member of the Bishop family.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Olive Whiskers is too cute! Little kittens are the best. Hopefully he and Molly will warm to each other soon. So sweet!

BTW, absolutely beautiful blue hydrangea photo at the top of your blog!

Cara said...

Oh my word, Oliver Whiskers is the cutest thing! Wish I could cuddle him right now.

Sara said...

I'm not a cat person, but that is a pretty cute kitty! Hope Molly takes a liking to him!!

Maria R. said...

I will not show my mom this picture or she will fly there and steal Oliver Whiskers. :) Cute Cute Cute.

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?