Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Flurry: n. meaning a burst of activity

FLURRY.

My friend Cara recently posted on her blog about the differences in personality between her two sons. I laughed when I read her post because I could have written it myself. Zachary is my worrier, my cerebral child who is normally so caught up in the world within his head that he is oblivious to the world around him. People often make comments like, "He's such a good boy. It must be nice to have one so calm and well-mannered." And yes, it is nice to have a calm child but I have to admit that with any child there are always the unfavorable characteristics that go hand in hand with any favorable ones. With Zachary, his outward demeanor of "calm" just masks his intense internal conversations. There is ALWAYS something going on in that brain of his. Some scheming, some fantasy play, a lightsabor battle, a song lyric, an in-depth question about good vs evil. His body may be at rest but his mind contains a FLURRY of activity.







With Alec, on the other hand, the demeanor of calmness is non-existent. He's my child who is constantly ON: he's bonking his head, running laps through the house, jumping, sliding, tumbling, falling, giggling and wobbling his way through life. He is a constant FLURRY of activity. I'm not saying that he's not smart, because I truly believe that he is. But he's just much more physical and much less mental than his brother. I've laughed about my photos of Alec for years. For every decent shot that I get of his face there are SCORES of blurred, out-of-focus ones of the top of his head or the back of his head or his back or, my favorite, his bottom.




My boys are so precious and I love them both with such fierce abandon. They frustrate the crud out of me sometimes, but I cannot imagine my life without them and I thank God for them every single day. Their differences are what make them so much fun!



I'm posting some photos of my boys so that you can see for yourself how their personalities are portrayed in picture.


3 comments:

Cara said...

Can I just copy this and post it in my blog? We really should get our 4 boys together when you travel back this way.

Andrea said...

Yeah, Cara. I think they'll be peas in a pod when we finally get them together!

Sara said...

I'm interested to see how Grant's personality will differ from Laura. From what I can tell now, Grant is definitely more quiet than Laura (wouldn't take much) & he physically he is just much bigger!

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?