Tuesday, June 10, 2008

FINANCES!


Finances.

Today is an historic day in the Bishop household. After eleven years of slowly -- but efficiently -- building up WAY too much debt (and I do mean way too much), we have finally paid down all debt with the exception of our car note. It is an amazing feeling. But it is also quite humbling because I am at a point in my life where I just want to do the right thing with our money. I don't want to make any more stupid, careless, selfish money decisions. I want to save and invest and be frugal. But in all honesty, those words and concepts aren't particularly ingrained in either me or Mike. It is truly a change of lifestyle to cut up the cards and to consult the checkbook before every purchase. We're going back to the old cash-in-the-envelope style of budgeting that we did when we were first married. I don't know exactly when or why we left that budgeting style behind... because it was effective for us. But at some point we must have decided that we didn't need to do it anymore, for whatever reason. But we're going back to that and we're going to work on putting some money into those college funds for the boys and into retirement accounts. I think I'm starting to feel grown-up. Or maybe I'm just starting to feel old?



Anyone have some great budgeting tips or money saving ideas to share? Any great ideas to make the summer fun on small amounts of cash?

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Andrea - congrats to you and Mike! That is a huge accomplishment and you should be very proud of yourselves! Smart to start planning now for college and retirement and all of the other good things to come.

A couple of ideas for summer - maybe get a pass to a local zoo or something where you can spend Saturdays, or choose different parks in various parts of your town for picnics and play (there's something to be said for a change in scenery).

These are easy for the non-parent to say! Hope you find what works for you. Good luck!

Sara said...

Envelope system is the way to go! Also, renting movies from Blockbuster thru the mail is much much cheaper then getting them in the store.

Maria R. said...

I am the last person to have any finance tips, so I will just say....you read my mind about sissy weekend. Lots of talk and laughter will be fantastic.

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?