Saturday, June 7, 2008

Field Trip (shmield trip)


So yesterday was the first grade field trip to the zoo. It was about 50 degrees and rainy and windy. In Oklahoma we'd say 50 degrees with a wind chill of about 35. It was cold and pretty nasty. All of that was, in itself, a slight nuisance. But add to that a group of first graders who are also cold and wet and who all want to go to see different animals in a different order and you will find yourself with a mom who is EXTREMELY grateful to teach adults instead of 7 year old darlings!


However, I must say that I was extremely proud of my Zach. He was a little trooper. Never complained, not even once. And he was so patient with our group of kiddos. We had a couple that were on the excessively whiny side. (I'm hungry...at 9:45 in the morning. I'm getting wet... in the pouring down rain this was apparently something unexpected. I'm tired... after 15 minutes of walking. I'm hungry... at 9:47 in the morning. I'm cold... but I don't want to put my hood on my head because I like to get my hair wet in the rain. I'm HUNGRY... at 9:49 in the morning.) Zachary was so sweet and such a trooper. I was very proud of him.
And the field trip wasn't a total disaster. It was over at 1:30 and I got to go home after that! (I am exaggerating of course.) The kids in my group did have their cute moments. I just have this thing about whining. It is my biggest pet peeve. My kids hear this daily in our house, "No whining! We do not whine!" And now that I've seen some truly terrific whiners at work I realize that my own children will never be the superstars of whining, something that makes me truly grateful!

5 comments:

Sara said...

Whining is my numero uno pet peeve. And girls whine more than boys...so count your blessing with having two boys!!!

Andrea said...

Yeah, that was my observation yesterday. I had a couple of little girls in my group. Super cute... absolutely BEAUTIFUL young ladies, and their pretty little mouths whined the entire time! Yikes. No thanks on that aspect of girliness.

Anonymous said...

Well I guess the hood comment would be my son. Hope he did not whine too much. Thanks for being his group leader. I felt better knowing that. I think if I would have went, I might have whined some too...I hate being cold.

Andrea said...

Funny thing about boys. They don't whine so much. With Easton it was much more "Don't wander away from me" and "You really don't have to shout because I'm actually standing right beside you." Both of those types of things are MUCH easier for me to deal with than the whining. Easton and Zach were definitely my easiest two kids!

Kathryn said...

You are brave to take on the field trip leader role! Sounds like you had quite the adventure. Isn't it amazing that walking is such a hardship anymore?? :)

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?