Friday, April 25, 2008

Follow-- v. meaning to go after

Follow.

"Come on, Mommy. Follow me!" "Look!" "Watch me!" "Mommy! Follow me!"

What would it be like if I actually took an entire day to just follow them around? To walk behind them, not as a protector constantly grabbing a hand or as a tidier constantly picking up the toys, but to to just walk behind and observe and enjoy?

This morning the boys discovered that one of their bouncy balls glows in the dark. This is not something that I would have ever ascertained on my own. Why? Because it never would have occurred to me to sit huddled underneath a fleece Batman blanket holding a small bouncy ball just to see what would happen. They were snuggled together underneath Zach's blanket giggling and saying "Wow!" And I have to admit that when they pulled me underneath the blanket to observe their discovery, it was pretty stinkin' cool! The blue bouncy ball took on this unearthly green glow in the darkness.

What if I skipped and hopped behind Alec as he skipped and hopped his way to the bathroom (every 30 minutes or so)? What would happen if I turned off my automatic "No" answer to questions like, "Can we play light sabers in the bathtub?" or "Can we sleep in the living room tonight?" or "Can we have ice cream for breakfast?" What would happen?

I don't know. Probably nothing more than a lot of giggling and exclamations of "Wow!"

Maybe I should just follow along.

Follow.

No comments:

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?