Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Fidgety-- an adj. meaning restless

Fidgety.

Today I am feeling fidgety. We have been in the state of Washington for almost two years, and are expecting to spend another year here before being transferred next summer (July 09). I am both impatient and unwilling to make this next move. It should, Lord willing, be our last transfer before Mike's time with the Navy will end. We're hopeful that the transfer will send us back to Millington, Tennessee, which will put us much closer to our families and to dear friends who are in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Texas. This is a very good thing. To be back on familiar ground.

But this morning as I kissed Zachary goodbye in front of his school and watched him running excitedly up the stairs with friends, I realized that this next move will be extremely difficult for him. Zachary is amazing in his ability to make friends and it always shocks (and pleases) me to see how much other children seem to genuinely like him. He's like Norm in those old Cheers sitcoms. When he walks into a room, all of the children call out his name like he's a dear, old friend. I treasure that for him. Mike and I find it humorous that we've produced such a social butterfly. In many ways, Zachary is much more like my brother than he is like Mike or me.

Anyway, I do not look forward to the goodbyes when we leave. Especially Zach's goodbyes. But I cannot help but be hopeful and excited about the prospects of being back home. Washington is lovely. It is majestic, breathtaking, and extremely wet. But it isn't home. I don't know if it ever could be.

So, today I feel fidgety. I feel in limbo. I feel restless and powerless to do anything about it. Bummer.

Fidgety.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I hear ya! We are so in limbo right now with our move in 6 weeks. I also am hurting for my Laura to say goodbye to her little friends and to start over again. It is gonna be tough on all of us.

One good thing..we'll be closer to each other!

Rebekah Scott, M.MFT, LPC, LMFTA said...

sounds like I better hightail it into gear if I'm going to come see you up there huh? I know moving is hard but I think it makes you appreciate friendships more and makes kids more resilient but I know its tough. I'm so excited you are blogging.

Anonymous said...

That sure made me a little weepy. We will miss you so much and Easton will so miss Zachary. But for now, we are blessed to have you here with us!

Andrea said...

Maria Byrd, you and your family are one of the few things here that do make this feel like home.

Love you!

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?