Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Feeling my way through grief

Grief is a funny thing. It can consume. It can tickle. It can stain. It can sneak up and knock a girl flat before she even feels it coming.

My mother died on April 5th. Tomorrow is May 5th. Because of her disease, my mother had been leaving me in bits and pieces for years. I think that I expected to be completely relieved when she was finally gone, when she was at peace and in heaven. Instead of being completely relieved, I've been shocked by the pain of grief. Why is it that I'm grieving for a woman for whom I spent the past two years praying desperately that God would bring home? I wanted her to pass on, so why do I miss her so much now?

I've come to the realization that while I was praying for God to bring Mom home, what I desperately wanted was for God to heal her. I wanted to go home and find her gardening in the flower beds instead of vegetating in her hospital bed in the piano room. I wanted to hear her sing Elvis songs (badly) instead of hearing myself sing hymns to her. I wanted her to just get up and walk and talk. I wanted her back. I didn't want her gone. I wanted HER.

And so I grieve. Some days are easy. A few days in the past week have been hard because I'll be blindsided by a Mother's Day commercial on the radio. I discovered quite by accident that I had no business being in a Hallmark store, a Family Christian bookstore, or anywhere near the card aisle at Target. Not even Walgreens is safe. Mother's Day stuff is killing my heart right now.

I've suddenly found myself in tears while driving, while shopping, while watching television, while talking to friends, while reading a book. I've never been an overly emotional woman, so the overabundance of tears has been a bit disheartening for me. I don't really like to cry. I don't really feel better after a long, hard cry. I just feel headachy and sad.

Grief. Honestly? It sucks.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Think and pray for you daily. It is tough and my heart hurts for you. It truly does! You are my bestest sissy! xoxo

Ilena said...

I have been praying for you as well. I am so sad for you and your family. Praying that God will provide comfort. Ilena

Jenna said...

Sweet Andrea,

You have been on my heart. I know that this Mother's Day will be difficult for you. I will be praying for peace and comfort for you.

Dina said...

Grief is a crazy thing. You will go through so many different emotions including anger. The feelings that you will have in the months to come are "normal", if losing someone you love can be considered that. I was mad at the world when daddy died. When I saw someone laughing I would silently scream, why are you laughing when my daddy is gone.
Your mother would be so proud of you and the woman that you have become.
Dina

janet li said...

Very well, that is my very first stop by for your website! It is nice,just like our website.If you are a fashion man,maybe you will also like our website,like our ghd uk.All of the ghd uk here are fashion,useful,noble and free shipping.What's more,chi usare also online hot sale here.

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?