Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fall television

Mike and I gave up on our Directv a couple of months ago and we've been surviving with nothing more than a little antenna on our TV and about five local channels. We were able to get the Olympics this summer and that's about the only thing on the tube we found worthwhile all summer anyway. I don't really miss having 220 channels. I'm not all that big on tube time. But I do enjoy veggin' on the couch on occasion and tonight I've got a date with NCIS. I'm looking forward to that.

I guess we'll have to resume our satellite TV service pretty soon because of the whole digital TV thing coming into existence in February, but I must admit that I'm disappointed with television on the whole. I'm not a fan of the reality stuff. Just doesn't float the Andrea boat. So tell me, please, what are you watching on TV? Is there anything out there worth the time? Someone give me a reason to start spending money on TV again!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I am addicted to the Home and Garden channel. I would pay for digital tv just to get that channel if I had to. :)

Sara said...

My favorites are Lost, The Office, & Grey's Anatomy (sad to admit). Last year, I watched Survivor & The Biggest Loser off and on. I also like Jon and Kate Plus Eight on occasion.

I admit, I am a nighttime TV junkie. I do DVR all of them, so I can fast forward commercials which shaves off about 15 minutes. I'm trying to rationalize my time wasted watching these programs!!

Anonymous said...

I DVR everything so that I can skip out on commercials. Also, during the childrens' waking hours, I want to be with them and not staring at the blue lamp in the corner. I enjoy House (medical mystery mixed with sarcasm and a cane) and Army Wives (total soap opera, and I'm sure about as far removed from reality as it gets). 30 minutes a day of Noggin for the kids is nice...it is clean, safe, educational and a small break for mom! All that being said, I'm not sure it is worth paying for cable as I could probably buy the DVDs at the end of the season and I know I could rent them for much less than the cost of monthly cable! Hope that helps!

Kathryn said...

I'm a big fan of shows like 48 Hours Mystery and Dateline. I DVR those regularly. I'm also a fan of The Office. I really liked the premiere of "The Mentalist" on Tuesday too!

Robin said...

We don't get TV. I think it's an easy way to save money, avoid materialism, have more time for other, more meaningful pursuits, and keep myself a little less like the mainstream culture around me. But I was raised without TV so it seems normal to me. We like The Office, too, but we just wait til the season is on DVD and get to skip the commercials. And we get all the background info and deleted scenes, too. :)

Happy non-viewing!
Robin

Anonymous said...

I like bones, greek, private practice, knight rider, chuck, and occasionally the Disney channels when my sister comes home for the weekend(from the university of washington). We use this time to let out brains stop and just kind of sit there and can be an ok(ish) alternative to a book well at least you’re not being quite as anti social. Plus stars can be easier and more convenient than renting a movie on the weekend. Well trying to bring the bright side to T.V
Maya Caffrey

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?