Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fort Sport--Traveling Tale #2

Okay, back to something a little less intense. Travel stories continued...




While we were vacationing in New Mexico at Mike's family cabin, the boys decided that it was utterly necessary to build a fort. Necessary on the lines of osmosis and cell division.




Taking the challenge firmly in hand, my husband and his brother (Uncle Buddy), set about to devise a fort to please any little boy. Its creation was a two-fold event. The first day the boys created the overall structure; the second day was more of a tweaking and furnishing kind of day. (I heard talk of bringing up camp chairs but unfortunately for my bottom that never happened--apparently a fort requires more rustic furnishings. Think splinters in the bottom and spiders on your legs.)



I did little more than take pictures and oooooh and ahhhh at the strength and agility of my adorable husband and his equally adorable brother (who is, by the way, still single--girls, contact me for information). The big brothers carried the large logs while their miniature versions made a lot of manly, grunting noises while they dragged and manhandled sticks and other boy-sized contributions. I heard a lot of, "Mommy! Look at me! I'm sooooo strong!"



The finished product was, I will admit, pretty cool. They had a "sofa" and they had a roof. They had strategically placed viewpoints (holes between the logs) whereby they could stick out the end of a plastic gun and shoot the bad guys. Apparently the woods around the cabin, in the beautiful Santa Fe National Forest, were just riddled with bad guys. I was appalled at the number of bad guys in those woods. Appalled! Glad I had such brave men to protect me.


It was one of the highlights of the trip for the boys. I mean, come on! What little boy wouldn't love a fort like this? What little boy doesn't NEED memories like these?

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?