Thursday, February 17, 2011

Feeling Navy Blue


Today I miss my mom.


I'm not sure why, but spring-time weather always makes me lonesome for my mother. My fellas and I are leaving in the morning to spend a long weekend in Oklahoma. I wish more than anything that during our visit I could go clothes shopping with my mama.

Springtime should make a girl feel pastel pink or spring green, maybe a sunny yellow. When I was in high school and later in college, and even later as a married mother of a little one, my mom always took me shopping for new spring clothes. A pretty new blouse or a new pair of sandals is just what we needed on those first early days of warmer temperatures after the dark, drab of winter.

My Grandma Hollie was also a fan of the spring time shopping spree. Every spring while I was a student at Harding University, she managed to either take me shopping or to send me money to buy a new church outfit, "something pink or pretty" is usually what she'd recommend.

This spring I don't have my grandma or my mom to take me shopping for something pretty, pink, or appropriate for spring. And so, I am feeling so very navy blue.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

So very sorry. I can't imagine how hard it must be to grieve her loss even though she is still "there". Hope your warm memories leave you feeling a little more pink and yellow.

Unknown said...

Your blog writing about your mother and shopping really captures something special. Thanks for sharing. You and your boys are in our prayers.
Jason

Robin said...

So sweet. Hope you've found something pink and/or pretty by now.

Love,
me

p.s. The word verification I am being asked to type is "bless." Isn't that awesome?

Good F words

Hey! Not all F words are bad. The best words in the world are family, fun, food, and fabulous! I'm challenging myself to expand my own appreciation of the fabulous F words out there. I'm starting a list of words that I'll eventually write about. Let me know if you think of another fun one.



Family ~ Father ~ Fast ~ Fanatic ~ Fanciest ~ Festive ~ Fanciful ~ Freedom ~ Friday ~ Flower ~ Flagrant ~ Fixable ~ Forceful ~ Forbidden ~ Foray ~ Foppish ~ Fledgling ~ Frappacino ... hmmm... maybe ?